- Vitamins are medicine for not getting sick and going back to Heaven yet. I never want to go, I don’t like dying but Ma says it might be OK when we’re a hundred and tired of playing.
- Stealing is when a boy takes what belongs to some boy else, because in books and TV all persons have things that belong just for them, it’s complicated.
- Here come the turtle babies out of their shells, but the turtle mothers are gone already, that’s weird. I wonder if they meet sometime in the sea, the mothers and the babies, if they know each other or maybe they just swim on by.
- I think he’s doing sarcasm, when he says the really opposite with a voice that’s all twisty.
- Ma plays with Tank too but not as long. She gets sick of things fast, it’s from being an adult.
- It would be cool to sometimes go smaller again and sometimes bigger like Alice.
- Before I didn’t know to be mad that we can’t open Door, my head was too small to have Outside in it. When I was a little kid I thought like a little kid, but now I’m five I know everything.
“Scared is what you’re feeling,” says Ma, “but brave is what you’re doing.”
- I remember the manners, that’s when persons are scared to make other persons mad.
- It’s really quiet for a minute. The woman says: “Your experiences have given you, ah, enormous empathy with the suffering children of the world.” “Not just children,” says Ma. “People are locked up in all sorts of ways.”
- “Hey buddy.” Here’s Paul my Uncle, I didn’t know he was let in the dining room. I think buddy is man talk for sweetie.
- In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but She and Steppa don’t have jobs, so I don’t know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter over all the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there’s only a little smear of time on each place, that everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.