- As soon as you stop wanting something you get it. I’ve found that to be absolutely axiomatic. /…/ In the years after I’d decided to be a loner, I got more and more popular and found myself with more and more friends.
- I always think about the people who build buildings and then they’re not around anymore. Or a movie with a crowd scene and everybody’s dead. It’s frightening.
A: I like your apartment.
B: It’s nice but only big enough for one person – or two people who are very close.
A: You know two people who are very close?
- I became what you might call fascinated by certain people. One person in the 60s fascinated me more than anybody I had ever known. And the fascination I experienced was probably very close to a certain kind of love.
- You know how honey always drips. Honey should come out of something that squirts – like ketchup in a drive-in.
- If a mirror looks into a mirror, what is there to see?
- Some critic called me the Nothingness Himself and that didn’t help my sense of existence any. Then I realized that existence itself is nothing and I felt better.
- People should fall in love with their eyes closed.
- The best atmosphere I can think of is film, because it’s 3-dimensional physically and 2-dimensional emotionally.
- You just never know with people. You just never know what they’ll like, what you should do for them.
- I think “aura” is something that only someone else can see, and they only see as much of it as they want to. It’s all in the other person’s eyes.
- They always say that time changes things but you actually have to change them yourself.
B: Is it raining?
A: I think they’re spitting at us.
- Sometimes people let the same problem make them miserable for years when they could just say: “So what.” /…/ I don’t know how I made it through all the years before I learned how to do that trick. It took a long time for me to learn it, but once you do it you never forget.
- You’re usually making the same mistakes. You apply your usual mistakes to every new category or field you go into.
- Whenever I’m interested in something I know the timing’s off, because I’m always interested in the right thing at the wrong time.
- I really believe in empty spaces, although as an artist I make a lot of junk. Empty space is never-wasted space. Wasted space is any space that has art in it.
- An artist is somebody who produces things that people don’t need to have but that he – for some reason – thinks it would be a good idea to give them.
B: Is that a female impersonator?
A: Of what?
- My favourite piece of sculpture is a solid wall with a hole in it to frame the space on the other side.
- There should be supermarkets that sell things and supermarkets that buy things back, and until that equalizes, there’ll be more waste than there should be.
- I’m impressed with people who can create new spaces with the right words.
A: Should we walk? It’s really beautiful out there.
- You can’t do things that you’re not the type to do. It’s a bad idea.
- “He’s adorable. Is it okay for guys to be adorable?” – “It’s okay for anybody to be adorable.”
- Everybody has problems but the thing is to not make a problem about your Problem.
- Never complain about a situation while the situation is still going on.
- If you can’t believe it’s happening pretend it’s a movie.